homeanddesign, homeimprovement, roof, roof repairs
Think Twice Before Hiring The Contractor For Roof Repairs Or RoofingAugust 01, 2017
If you need to get roof restoration or some roof repairs done then hiring a professional contractor for the same is the need of the hour. It is a fact that restoring or repairing roof can be expensive depending on what needs to be done, so it is better to question before you hire the contractor for the same. Don’t hire anyone just because they offered the lowest bid, quality is also a distinguishing factor in making the right decision.
Some tips to consider before hiring anyone:
References do matter so ask people around which roofer they use for the roof repairs process of their home and ask some general questions. Here is the list of questions you can ask people about their roofing contractor.
- If situation arises will you use this contractor again for the task?
- Was there any leaks and did the contractor act on the flaw promptly, did he charge extra for the work?
- Did you discuss the budget in starting? If so then did the contractor exceeded it and how much? Were those extra charges genuine or just a manipulation?
- Did the contractor clean the property after completion of work? Did they damage any other part of the structure like bushes extra?
- Was there anyone to hear your concerns and gave the satisfied answer for your questions?
The above questions will certainly help you to make your decision regarding the contractor and the quality they are claiming to deliver.
Find the contractor who has experience with the specific type of roof repairs you want at your place. There are different types of roofing and raw materials used for same plus a lot of things are included in this repair process. So, before making any decision about hiring the contractor ask them about their speciality and what kind of work they have done in the past. They can be good in certain type of roofing but not your demands. So check before you sign the deed. Be specific in your questions and say yes when the answer is exactly what you wanted to hear.
Insurance is a must in regards to worker’s compensation and liability insurance. So, check whether they offer insurance or not for the same. If yes then what all is covered in their insurance scheme. Ask for the certificate of the insurance and if possible make sure to contact the insurance company for its validity and authenticity.
In current times, there are several companies who are offering roofing and roof repairs service; however all of them don’t have the proper knowledge about the work and process. So it’s your duty to check their knowledge by asking some specific questions. These questions can be:
- Ask them about the current codes as well as building or repairing requirements?
- Do they have certification to carry the task you are asking?
- How did they started their task, did they checked the ventilation system or not?
- Does inspection of roof decking was the part of their checking process?
- Did they give viable suggestions in regards to rotten wood or other things to you?
- What is their current rating at the authority’s site?
Inspection fee and quotation:
Normally a good contractor will not charge any fee for inspection as well as offering the quote. So if they ask for money for these small things then they are cheap ones and try to avoid them. They are not what you want. Think all the above pointers before hiring the contractor to avoid regretting in the future.