dining room, dining table, featured, home, homeanddesign, homeimprovement
Choosing the right dining table for your dining spaceApril 28, 2017
Dining area, is a common room, where the whole house gathers to share their day over food. Other than having routine meals, the dining area is also used amply during the leisurely hours, for sitting and chatting by the members, and for playing by the children.
A quintessential segment of the dining room is the perfect dining table, which facilitates all the above mentioned activities. Hence, appropriate selection of the dining table is a task of great significance to the homeowners. If too small, it may not serve its purpose, whereas an oversized one may unnecessarily clutter the whole room.
For all those looking forward to buy a dining table anytime soon, here is the checklist by leading interior designers to that oh-so-perfect dining table for your home.
Checklist for choosing right dining table:
- Keep in mind the dining room dimensions
Accurate measurement of the dining room, with an eye for its minute details is the first step for selecting the right dining table. The shape, size and design of the dining table should blend well with the room decor. Space between the wall and other furniture to the dining table with margin for moving all chairs , and the number of chairs required should also be noted before going for a suitably sized dining table.
- Consider the seating arrangement of the table
It is essential to assess the seating arrangement before purchasing a dining table. In general, a 4-6 people seater table has to be up to 4ft/6ft in dimensions. Also of importance is the material of the dining table. For example, if also used as a kids’ study, a wooden or scratchproof top is more practical than a glass top.
- Decide on the shape of the table
Considering the space left inside the room after accommodating all furniture, decide on the shape of the dining table. A square dining table is recommended for smaller dining room options whereas a round shaped dining tableoffers formal ambience. Rectangular shape of the dining table goes well with a dining room that will host an informal gathering joined by quite a number of people.
- Budget and preferences
Pre-deciding and formulating a budget well in advance is also of essence. Depending on the material the cost will also vary, as a wooden table is obviously more pricey than a synthetic one. Hence, keeping in mind the use and the durability of the table alongside other factors like the desired look and frequency of its use, the price cap should be set.
- Extension Tables
You may not need a large table right now, but if you’re family is growing and you occasionally like to break bread with a larger crowd, an extension table with a self-storing leaf is the answer. An extension table is also ideal if you are hosting parties frequently. The only word of caution here is that you measure when the extension leaf is in the table – that way you’ll know it still fits in your dining room.
Some quick tips to help you buying your dining table:
- Always keep in mind the free space for your dining table available in the dining room while making plans to buy a new dining table.
- If there are small kids in your house, go for round or oval shaped table, so that they will not get hurt with the edgy table corners.
- Comfortable chairs and shape of chairs are as important as the dining table design.
- Avoid glass tops if there are kids at home, as it is easy to get scratch
- Buying a table with a pedestal base provides more leg room. The table legs and chairs will not get tangled also.
- Most dining tables are around 30 inches high and chairs around 18 inches. This allows for comfortable lap and legroom. A general rule of thumb is to allow at least 12 inches between the seat of your chair and your tabletop.
- Choosing chairs that offers comfort as well as space saving is equally important while choosing the table.
- If having an open floor plan, interior designers suggest opting for a table that blends with your home’s theme.
- Interior designers also suggest a chic contrast by using a rustic table in a modern space or a bold minimalist table as a trend.
- In many studio apartments of home interiors, glass and acrylic tables are widely used.
All of the above mentioned speculations and applications come under the interior design domain, so ensure that the dining table you select is durable, comfortable, safe to use, and in tune with the furniture decor of the entire house. For creating that special dining table that you have had in mind for some time now, plan and draw the table’s layout for getting your very own designer table made.